BY BIKERS FOR BIKERS
MOUNTAIN BIKE TOURS NEAR CHIANG RAI
Our Mountain bike tours Chiang Rai, Thailand’s northernmost province, separated from Myanmar and Laos by the Mekong River. Visitors can enjoy crisp mountain scenery and valley views, while feeling blessed with excellent weather, much cooler than the rest of the country. It is the Kingdom’s most ethnically diverse region and the presence of many hill tribes has resulted in a network of trails connecting their villages.
These natural trails are the perfect setting for epic days in the saddle: think big climbs with breathtaking views and even bigger descents, all while having the trails to yourself. Areas particularly suitable are the hills around Doi Mae Salong, Doi Chang, the Kok river valley and just across the provincial border in Chiang Mai, Doi Pha Hom Pok (Thailand’s 2nd tallest mountain).
Our 3, 4 and 5 day trips start and end in Chiang Rai town.
- Hike to the summit of Doi Pha Hom Pok for 360 degree views over Myanmar and Thailand. Ride our longest descent from there and do it all over again after lunch
- Spend a few nights up on Doi Mae Salong, Thailand’s tea growing region. Bring a warm jacket !
- Stop by a remote and friendly Thai army camp right on the border and start an epic downhill from there
- After a morning of undulating single-track and a steep climb, ride down to Thoed Thai through magnificent scenery
- Put your bike on a long-tail boat for (depending on the itinerary) a return to Chiang Rai or a journey up to Thaton
- Doi Chang rides: short warm-up ride with a breathtaking backdrop and a single-track descent back to civilization. The afternoon ride is longer and has a steep challenging climb rewarded with a long downhill
- Doi Bo: one of our biggest rides that will take us well into the afternoon. Two big climbs each followed by an even bigger descent on remote single-track
- Ban Pha Khwang: a real adventure: two long stretches of single-track downhill separated by a steep challenging climb. A short adventurous hiking section connects both halves of this ride, and the trail ends by the Kok river, ideal for a boat ride out
- Doi Pha Hom Pok: starting at the Doi Pha Hom Pok campsite at 1900 m, an optional but highly recommended hike to the summit, descent mostly on single-track, and with a few creek crossings. Repeat this epic downhill in the afternoon
- Thoed Thai: an initially gentle, but later steepening, ascent from Mae Salong leads to a first downhill to a remote village, on the other side awaits superb single-track, a steep climb followed by a fantastic single-track descent. After lunch, a super steep climb (bonus points for riding it all), and an unforgettable descent through farmland with great scenery. The home run follows the Kham river all the way into Thoed Thai
- Army Camp: possibly our steepest climbs briefly levels out at a clearing with 360 degree views, the continues up to a Thai army camp where we briefly say hello. Mind-blowing single-track downhill back to civilization. This ride can be followed up with the Ban Pha Khwang ride, or can be made in to a day ride by adding a short technical downhill and a long gentle climb at the beginning
With so many rides to pick from, the number of itineraries is almost endless, from 3 day trips to a full 5 days linking together out entire repertoire of rides in the area. Below are a few suggested itineraries, but we’re more than happy to help you with a custom itinerary.
3 Day Itinerary A
Day 1 – Army Camp – Early morning pick up in Chiang Rai, transfer to Mae Salong temple and then trailhead, assemble bikes and late morning start to the ride. An epic ride along the Burmese border with some climbing and lots of downhill. Late lunch on route to Thaton. Afternoon arrival at riverside resort, check in and a delicious dinner at a local restaurant.
Day 2 – Doi Pha Hom Pok – Breakfast, and transfer to our trailhead below the summit of Doi Pa Hom Pok, short hike to summit viewpoint and back, then epic mostly downhill run. Return to trailhead and repeat! Check out of hotel and late afternoon transfer to our mountain retreat.
Day 3 – Thoed Thai – Check out and short transfer to beginning of an epic day riding on mostly undulating remote single track trails, culminating in a sublime long descent to end the day and the trip. Transfer to Chiang Rai for a shower and then to the airport for departure.
Trip Code: PAI-3D-A.
4 Day Itinerary
Day 1 – Early morning pick up in Chiang Rai, transfer to Mae Salong temple and then trailhead, assemble bikes and late morning start to the ride. An epic ride along the Burmese border with some climbing and lots of downhill. Late lunch on route to Thaton. Afternoon arrival at riverside resort, check in and a delicious dinner at a local restaurant. (L,D)
Day 2 – A big day from Mae Salong. Smooth and flowing in the morning after a climb to start and then after lunch we return to Mae Salong and have another awesome ride that finishes with a downhill on flowing single track. Afternoon free to explore interesting and unique Mae Salong.
Day 3 – Breakfast, and transfer to our trailhead below the summit of Doi Pa Hom Pok, short hike to summit viewpoint and back, then epic mostly downhill run. Return to trailhead and repeat! Check out of hotel and late afternoon transfer to our mountain retreat. (B,L,D)
Day 4 – Check out and short transfer to beginning of an epic day riding on mostly undulating remote single track trails, culminating in a sublime long descent to end the day and the trip. Transfer to Chiang Rai for a shower and then to the airport for departure. (B,L)
Trip Code: PAI-4D
5 Day Itinerary
DAY 1 (13/4/16) – Early pick up in Chiang Rai, transfer to trailhead near Doi Chang and start
the ride on beautiful, flowing, remote trails. Lunch at a gorgeous waterfall and then more
awesome single track in the afternoon. Return to Chiang Rai and then dinner at a delicious local
DAY 2 (14/4/16) – Check out and transfer to beginning of epic day. Magic morning riding
spectacular single track to lunch. Then a short transfer before an afternoon of classic single
track that culminates in a long descent down to the Kok river. We end the day with a longtail
boat trip that drops us off in front of our hotel in Thaton.
DAY 3 (15/4/16) – Breakfast and transfer to trailhead just below the summit of Doi Pha Hom
Pok, a short hike to summit viewpoint and back, then our epic downhill ride. So good we do it
twice and you will want more!
DAY 4 (16/4/16) – Check out and transfer north to Mae Salong. After a climb to start, smooth
and flowing in the morning and then after lunch we have another awesome ride that finishes
with a downhill on flowing single track. Return to Mae Salong and explore the interesting and
DAY 5 (17/4/16) – After a brief stop at the chedi overlooking Doi Mae Salong, a short descent
followed by a scenic climb to the Burmese border where we pay a short visit to our friends at a
remote army post, before some of the best downhill single track in Thailand (and maybe a little
bit of Myanmar). A fitting final day of the most scenic riding on a mix of hillside and ridge trails.
Unforgettable. No better way to finish a great trip. Transfer back to Chiang Rai.
Trip Code: PAI-4D
Doi Chang Morning Ride: 16 km, 200 m up, 950 m down
Doi Chang Afternoon Ride: 24 km, 500 m up, 1100 m down
Doi Bo: 28 km, 1200 m up, 1550 m down
Ban Pha Khwang: 13 km, 450 m up, 900 m down
Doi Pha Hom Pok: 17 km, 200 m up, 1500 m down
Thoed Thai: 30 km, 1200 m up, 2000 m down
Army Camp: 22 km, 850 m up, 1250 m down